Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Three Things I Have Learned So Far...


I have learned a lot more about Norway recently than I ever thought that I would. I mean, sure, I had an exchange student from Norway and all that jazz, but I never really did the research on what Norway's all about. I'm glad that I have taken this class because it has allowed me to do the research and learn what a wonderful country Norway is. It's beauty spans beyond its rolling countryside and snow covered mountains. It is a truly interesting and extraordinary country.

One thing about media in Norway that I found interesting when I did my research online is that social media has really taken off in Norway. Nearly 2 of its 5 million inhabitants are on the popular social media outlet, Facebook. It won't be long before Norway catches up with the 48% of Americans who are on Facebook. Most all of the Norwegian exchange students that my high school hosted are on Facebook, and it is great to keep up with the on a regular basis.

One thing that I wanted know a little bit more about was the Trolls in Norway. Trolls run rampant through the culture of Norway, and if you ever host a Norwegian student, you best believe you're going to get a troll. My little troll statue is so interesting, and I knew a few of the stories about trolls in Norway that have been passed down over the years, but I wanted to know what all the fuss about trolls was about. I found a bunch of different legends that have been passed down over the years, and I also read that trolls are literally EVERYWHERE in Norway. There are carved trolls on almost every street, troll shops where you can buy troll items, troll posters and even a troll tea-garden where you can dine amongst the ancient trolls. These trolls are a huge part of Norwegian culture.

The vikings of Norway is something that has always interested me when talking about Norwegian culture, so I did some research on them. I found out that during the Viking Age, which lasted from 800-1066, Norwegians, as well as Swedes and Danes, traveled on long ships and acted as "raiders, explorers, settlers and traders." The viking raids affected many parts of Europe and have left a lasting impact on not only Norway but Europe as a whole.

Bibliography:

"Facebook: UK, Norway and Sweden Most Active." Cafebabel.com | : News, Features,
Surveys and Opinions. Web. Mar. 2010. /facebook-uk-norway-and-sweden-most-active.html>.

"Our Cultural Heritage : Norwegian Folktales and Myths." Www.feri.com. Web. Mar. 2010.
.

"Vikings - A Brief History." Viking Art.com Welcomes You! Web. Mar. 2010.
.

1 comment: